Click to see our available animals
A Second Chance for Animals
Thank you for considering adopting an animal from Marias Animal Shelter. We pride ourselves on educating animal lovers on the best way to keep their animals as happy and healthy as possible. This involves helping soon to be owners get their homes ready for their new furry family additions. Both your family and our animals will each have particular needs, depending on age, lifestyle and experience. Our aim is to ensure that every adoption is successful.
Due to Covid-19 restrictions we are unable to conduct our usual home visits, so please read our requirements below carefully.
1. First download the relevant Adoption Information sheet found below (or email us and we’ll send you one) and read through this thoroughly! Most of the answers to your questions can be found there. If you find that you don’t want to read through all of the information, consider the responsibility of having a pet – if you’re not ready to read an information sheet are you really prepared?
2. Send us a picture of your housing and set up so that we can see the size, design, bedding and contents. Email these pictures to email@example.com. Please note that telling us what you intend to provide is not adequate; we must see a picture of your existing set up before we consider your request.
3. We will reply to your email as soon as we have reviewed your housing and set up. Please note that due to the busy demands of our work it may take up to several days for us to respond – so please bare with us!
4. We may provide some recommendations or suggest adjustments to your housing before we rehome to you. Please do not think us rude, the only reason we do this is to ensure the best welfare for the animal(s) in question and a successful match for all people and pets involved!
5. Visit the relevant page on our website for animals currently available for adoption and let us know which individual you are interested in. If you are unsure or would like more information on any aspect of your pets health or husbandry, please let us know, we’re more than happy to help.
6. Arrange a collection appointment with us. We politely ask that your adoption donation fee is paid prior to collection of your animal(s) although we do accept cash on arrival. Payment details are Marias Animal Shelter, Lloyds Bank; Sort code: 30-88-22; Account number: 18735760. Note we are currently unable to accept payment cards at the shelter.
By adopting from us and signing an adoption contract you agree that the animal will not be used for breeding purposes, you will register and visit a vet if you’re pet becomes unwell and if for any reason you can no longer care for the animal, they must be returned to us rather than rehoming yourself. Owning an animal is a legal responsibility; you have a legal duty of care to provide for the welfare needs of the animal so you must ensure you know how to do this.
Adoption Information Sheets
GUINEA PIGS: Please be aware we ask a minimum adoption donation of £30 per guinea pig, all single males are neutered unless there’s a specific reason. Click here to view our Guinea pig Information Sheet: Guinea Pig – Adoption Information
RABBITS: We ask a minimum adoption donation of £65 per rabbit, all rabbits are vaccinated and neutered (unless there’s a specific reason). Click here to view our Rabbit Information Sheet: Rabbits – Adoption Information
OTHER ANIMALS: We ask an adoption donation of £10 per small animal (hamster, gerbil etc), please email us for information regarding these species.
Bonding at the shelter
If you would like us to bond any animals at the shelter for you, we will charge £15 per week as a bonding fee.
Goods for sale at the shelter
We sell a variety of palatable hay, bowls, bottles, litter trays and animal carriers on site. Please ask if you are interested in buying from us. All the proceeds will go back into the shelter, helping more animals.
Thank you for adopting from us!